Thursday, July 22, 2010

Unit 6 - Integral Assessment exercise

I followed the steps recommended by Dacher (2006) in follow through to my own Integral Assessment. This involves cultivating a still and silent mind and then focusing on the four quadrants of the Integral Model that relate to the capacity of human experience: The Psychospiritual, the Biological, the Interpersonal, and the Worldly; and then taking inventory of myself to discover what areas in my current state need my attention. I then made use of the question, “What area of my life is ready for growth and development?” (Dacher, 2006), and discovered that I need to address each of life’s quadrants.


I saw my Biology - specifically in terms of my own self-regulation and health promotion. I then tried to visualize what practices this will require and saw that I need to receive a medical assessment of my current health, and saw that I need is to see a practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine in pursuit of a holistic overview and approach to promoting my optimum health; and that this would be a beginning of practice that can include TCM diagnosis, acupuncture and herbal treatment. I saw that I need to go to bed earlier so that I get sufficient sleep, as well as engage in deep breathing, bodily exercise and practicing a still mind and saw myself as learning Tai Chi or Qi-gong.

In the Psychospiritual domain of my life, I recognized that I need to return to my practice of reading the Bible every night and every morning, that I need to address myself to my Creator as a friend to friend more frequently; and that I need to daily practice a still mind as a means of relieving the sources of stress in my life.

In the Interpersonal area, I saw that I need to make myself available to ministry in my Church by arriving an hour early and properly prepared so that I can be seen by others as someone ready to serve. I also saw that I need to practice loving kindness by reaching out to others in more than simply a greeting; something that can also serve so that I can become more engaged in the life of other persons, thereby reducing my feeling of aloneness.

In term of my Worldly capacity, I need to recognize my calling as a Mentor to other, younger persons who reach out to me (including my Son-in-Law), as well as those requesting my recommendations for their health and wellness. I also saw the need for my Social Activism in the simple form of collaborating with my Daughter and my Grandchildren’s zest for recycling.


Dacher, Elliott. (2006). Integral health. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Pubns.

1 comment:

  1. Moises~

    It is nice to have that little bit of confirmation that we all need in order to see te Path that we have decided upon is the one that also the Universe is calling us to do. Our mindfulness meditations will be a cornerstone to those things that we seek to better our lives and the world in which we each live. MAPU

    ReplyDelete