Sunday, July 18, 2010

Unit 6 - Universal Loving Kindness Exercise

July 18, 2010

The Universal Loving Kindness exercises calls the closing of our eyes for a couple of minutes, and then repeating the following phrases for about ten minutes:


"May all individuals gain freedom from suffering
May all individuals find sustained health, happiness, and wholeness
May I assist all individuals in gaining freedom from suffering
May I assist all individuals in finding health, happiness and wholeness"

I could not bring myself to do it. The whole notion rubs against my grain because it would be hypocritical for me (or at best naive) . . . I cannot wish such goodness to "all individuals". There are those who don't deserve my repeating the above mentioned phrases: Child Molesters, Rapists and Murderers.

The closest I could come was to mentally sing:  "Jesus loves the little children, all the lovely children of the world; Yellow, Red and Black and White; they are precious in His sight; Jesus loves the little children of the world."   As I mentally sang these words, I recalled a Lakota Prayer Warrior friend of mine who intercedes for the children of the world every day. This I can do: pray for all the children; and in saying "children" I am referring to those who are innocent whether by age, or by their incapacity for learning evil. Children get in free; all others must pay.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Moises,
    I admire your honesty in your not being able to repeat the phrase as it is. I have to agree with you in the fact that children do definitely get in free, but others must pay, or at least prove they are worthy. I guess adults could learn from children and their innocence. Considering we were all children at one point, you would think these unworthy people would remember that and think about the consequences that would arise from their unjust actions.
    I really enjoyed reading your blog. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to feel the same way about what you wrote but then I read "The Shack" and it's changed my view on people in general. People are imperfect and there are repercussions to everything that we can't possibly understand. I think the only thing we can do for bad people is pray for their soul.

    ReplyDelete